Sunday, October 23, 2016

Hiking the Gahuti Trail in Fort Mountain State Park - North Georgia

Below Fort Mountain from Gahuti Trail
Now, this doesn't have much to do with raising quail or chickens, but it does have to do with life in north Georgia.  One of the great plusses about living up here is hiking and camping in the mountains!  We went Saturday, the 22nd of October and the weather was absolutely gorgeous.  Still, a few too many leaves on the trees to see all the vistas that were available, but nonetheless, it was a memorable day.

Fort Mountain Park from the Gahuti Trail - north Georgia
Well, first of all, it was a 8.2 mile hike - to begin with.  I have never hiked 8.2 miles anywhere, let alone up and down a bunch of mountains.  Add to the fact that I am 61 and the adventure seems a bit more dangerous.  But, I figured, what the hey!  My wife said, you should do it! So our grandson, Dillan, our oldest son, Mike, and myself, headed out early Saturday morning for our great adventure. We ended up taking a side route which added almost a mile to the hike so we ended up doing close to 9 miles.

At the end of the day, it was a great time with my son and grandson, but we were absolutely beat!  Don't think I'll be doing a 9-mile hike anytime soon, but I will say that this has got us excited about doing some 3-4 mile hikes now that we know what we are in for.

As a disclaimer, Mike is the one who planned the trip and invited us.  I would never have said let's go hike up and down the mountain for 9 miles.  But, as Mike said, it helped us to realize that we can push ourselves much further than we think.

I really recommend the Gahuti Trail for those seeking an adventure in the north Georgia mountains.  We have lived up here 10 years and this is only my second hiking trip.  I plan on doing many more shorter trips!
Check out all the links to share in our adventure!!!

Starting out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Ylu1627kw
Dillan on a natural rock formation:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?
3 Miles from the end with the 3 amigos!  
The end of the hike:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0d5LyH1LCQ







No comments:

Post a Comment